ELLISON

HOW HE GOT IT

After working at Ampex for 7 years, Ellison started his own database company in the 70s, Oracle. His first clients were the CIA. In fact, the name "Oracle" was first a CIA project codename.


WHAT HE DOES WITH IT

Lawrence J. Ellison is a huge donor to conservative PACs.

In 2012 he bought 98% of the sixth largest island in Hawaii, Lānaʻi, for $300 million. The state and population of 3,102 own the other 2% of the 141 square mile island. That's 2.82 square miles for everyone not named Larry Ellison. Barely enough room for a 5k. Upon the purchase of the island, Ellison said he'd invest $500 million on solar farms, infrastructure, water desalinization plant and a sustainable agriculture system. So far he's remodeled one of his Four Seasons Resorts for $450 million, and renovated an old movie theater. The only sustainable farming initiative he's undertaken on the island so far is a hydroponic farming venture Sensei, which is just a wellness resort with a garden that opened in 2018.

In 2014 Ellison donated $10 million to the Friends of Israel Defense Force. In 2017 he gave the FIDF their largest amount donation in history, $16.6 million.


LISTEN

Eat the Rich Episode 093: Larry Ellison 9/15/21
Grubstakers Episode 64: Larry Ellison 5/2/19


IN THE NEWS

Ellison's Lanai Isn't for You – or the People Who Live There
Sophie Alexander, Bloomberg, 6/8/2022

Larry Ellison Funds Controversial White House Defender Devin Nunes. Should Tennis Fans Care?
Douglas Perry, The Oregonian, 2/2019

Larry Ellison's Oracle Started As a CIA Project
Matt Novak, Gizmodo, 9/14/14

Oracle's Coziness with Government Goes Back to Its Founding
Todd Wallack, SFGate, 5/20/02



NET WORTH

$128.2 BILLION